Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Goodbye 2012!

Time for reflection. We've said good-bye to 2012 and hello to 2013. Time to look back at some of the fun.

In January, I had the privilege of watching the BEST distance runners in the US at the Olympic Trials for the Marathon in Houston. I met and talked to Meb Keflezighi and Deena Kastor. I ran a half marathon in Houston and got to meet tons of other Race and Event Directors from around the country.

In February, I raced a 5K which I hardly do and was beaten at the line. It was a tough race and the other gal and I ran shoulder to shoulder (literally) from the half way point to the end. It was a learning experience and a fun time.

As usual in the spring, I was honored to help with the Covenant Health Knoxville Marathon. Each year at the start, I shed tears of excitement for the runners and as the proud wife of Jason Altman who works tirelessly all year to organize the event. To bring all those logistics together and get all those people to the start line is simply amazing.

I have watched Jackson grow from a babbling 2 year old to a well spoken 3+ year old with a lot of valid questions and a LOT to say (per his own words). He has made me laugh and cry. He has given me strength and confidence and a new sense of who I am and what I want.

I watched my sweet boy go from wearing diapers to "pee-peeing standing up." I watched him last week walk to the fridge, open it, and get out food he wanted to eat. He is growing so fast.

I have connected more with friends. I have made new friends. I have had experiences that caused me to step out of my comfort zone.

I talked a lot about change and life. I wondered if I had the strength to make change and found that I did.

I resigned my from job with KTC. I decided that the stress, time demands, and overall schedule were too much. I wasn't enjoying the job and while so many thought I would never leave, I have. And, I haven't regretted the decision for a single second.

I decided that I missed teaching yoga and called around looking for a class or two. I was delighted to receive positive responses and am looking forward to getting back to teaching.

I was fortunate to be part of Medals4Mettle this year and have given out dozens of earned medals to children who are working hard to live.

2012 wasn't so bad. I believe that 2013 will be awesome. I am grateful for the experiences of 2012 - good and bad. I am grateful for all of the things I have learned and I am so grateful for my husband and child and for their support.

In 2013, I have already worked my last road race and will start teaching yoga again next week.  2013 is going to be a good year and I look forward to January 2014 when I can reflect on all the fun I've had.

1 comment:

  1. Great job with yesterday's race (despite the horrendous conditions). It was my first time running it and I enjoyed it (even though I was cold and very wet by the end) :)

    ReplyDelete

CHKM Week - It's Here! It's Here!

We've been experiencing marathon week in some shape or form for 20 years. Altman ran the full marathon the first year, and I ran the 5K....