Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Closing a Door...

In a little less than a month, I am going to close the door on a piece of my life. I have resigned as the Managing Director of the KTC. I am working through mid-January in an effort to make the transition smoother from 2012 to 2013. I could tell you that I am sad to go but in reality, I am very excited about the future. I have no idea what it will bring. I don't have a job lined up but am exploring several options.

I was hired in early 2009 and started my first official day on April 1 that year although I really started working as soon as I was offered the job. I did so out of necessity because there was so much to be done. I didn't want to get behind and I didn't want participants and members to suffer.

It has been a wild ride. I have gotten to do some cool things. Top 5 in life has to be the Fast 40 Dash on I-40 before it re-opened. What a crazy event to plan with no date and then find a way to put that many people on the interstate legally and safely. And, if you don't remember, I was 100 weeks pregnant (not really but it felt like it) and everyone was so worried that I was going to go into labor right there on the newly paved interstate. It was an amazing day.

I have made lots of friends many of which have become our extended family. We have been blessed and lucky. I have seen people transform their lives and it has been amazing.

I've talked a lot about change and life lately. Mostly because I have been evaluating mine. I am so lucky to have the best husband in the world. He is supportive and he knows when things aren't well. Did I mention that he is really smart?

For quite some time, I have been unhappy. I thought it might be because I wasn't pregnant yet or I thought it might be because we've had a rough year at KTC.  I have given my work situation a lot of thought over the last several months. I just don't have my "happy" anymore in this job. I love KTC and it isn't fair to either of us if I am not happy.

Some recent issues have really made me/us, stop and think about our life. We've really examined what is important and what needs to change and it kept coming back to my job. I almost always work 7 days a week. There is an event every weekend and I work most holidays. If I don't work that actual holiday then we work the day before or the weekend of the holiday. In almost 4 years, I have had to work on every vacation. Yes, every single vacation and yes, getting the work done was necessary.

I don't want to sound ungrateful because I have been very grateful to have this opportunity. But when you stop and think about life, I have a small child and I only get one shot here. If you don't have kids then you may never understand that concept. But, if you have kids - no matter the age - you get it. This is it. He won't ever be little again and if I miss it now then it is gone forever. And, it moves fast. Very fast. Head spinning - he was only a baby yesterday - fast.  I didn't put myself through 9 months of hormones, bad running, big belly, and terrible heartburn to miss out on this dude's life.

Life is too short to be anything but happy. I need a better schedule and I need more time for me, Jason, and Jackson and hopefully another little Altman in our future. I have been humbled by the outpouring of people wanting the best for me. They have emailed and texted me about job opportunities. Some people are offering to create a job for me within their own companies. It makes my heart swell with happiness that we have such a fantastic support system.

So, I am closing one door and open another. I can't wait. It is going to be a fun ride.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. You will never regret the decision to do what's best for you and your family and only you and Jason can decide what that is. My wife and I have made significant sacrifices so she can be at home more with our daughters and most people don't get it. Congratulations and good luck on this phase for your family.

    ReplyDelete

A Weight Lifted

I started this blog when Jackson was a baby with the intent to write about everyday life with kiddos. There are tons of books out there on r...