Tuesday, November 20, 2012

2011 vs 2012 - A whole different story at the Chickamauga Battlefield

Well, the 2012 Chickamauga Marathon has come and gone. This year was so much sweeter than last.

If you remember, last year was rough. Altman didn't have a good day and came in 2nd and spent a little time in the medical tent.

So, when he said he was going back, I pretended not to hear him and ignored it for a bit. He was serious and I am a supportive wife so I got on board with the idea. I told him from the beginning that he had to train hard. No kidding around. Put in the effort and finish standing upright this year. Please.

His training really started in the summer for Hood to Coast. From there, he won a half marathon at his alma mater, Miami University, in September (see guest post). He went to Columbus in October and had a half marathon PR.

As we drove to Chattanooga, we talked pace strategy and plans for race day. Instead of running the half, I had decided to run back and forth on the course as I had done two years before (I am obviously good luck). I would see him 4 times with the last being at time being at 19.5. From there, he was on his own.

Race morning was mellow. We were up and heading to the Battlefield with plenty of time. There was quite a traffic jam heading in so we had a Chinese fire drill in the middle of the road and Altman walked to the race site. He got his stuff and warmed up.

As time for the race start got closer, I got really nervous. My sweet friend Jennifer had texted me the day before to tell me to call her if I got anxious. I sent her a note that morning to tell her just how nervous I was. As I sat in the car (yes, on the seat warmer because it was cold!), I got a bit mushy and weepy. What if things went wrong again? What if he came around that corner all hunched over again? How would I calm my sister and make Jackson understand that  Daddy is okay if things went wrong?

I snapped myself out of it. I knew his training was awesome. I knew his diet had been awesome. I knew that he was ready and that he was going to kill it. No doubts.

I always cry during the anthem. Always. At KTC races, I get a tear. That day was no different. I wiped the tears and got my watches ready. And, they were off!

I headed over to the first cross over and saw him around 2.3 or 2.4 miles. He looked at ease. I headed down to the next cross over and waited for him. I met a lot of volunteers and made some friends and when he came through, he was solo. No one in sight. He looked great. I ran back up to the first cross over and waited again. There I ran into friends and when he came through, he was still leading and still very much alone and he looked great. I headed back to the other cross over. My new friends there cheered him on when he ran through at 19.5. Again, leading and looking fantastic.

I sprinted back to the finish. I met up with my sister and Jackson and we waited. There wasn't much time and we were on our toes. We saw the bike lead first and then the neon singlet. He looked great. I could see the clock ticking closer to 2:39 and began yelling with a great sense of urgency. I knew he'd coast to a win but I really wanted him to go under 2:39. I knew he wanted it too. He picked up on my tone and then picked up his pace as he headed for the line.

He won by something like 16 minutes.

It was a great day. Altman got the win and the PR. I was able to support him by being out on the course and seeing him in several locations (told you I was good luck!). I also got in a great 10 mile run at a decent pace. And, I got to see well over 30 deer which is always very cool.

This year's story was so different than last year's story. I like this one better. I am grateful for that.

Happy Thanksgiving and many blessings for you and your families.


No comments:

Post a Comment

CHKM Week - It's Here! It's Here!

We've been experiencing marathon week in some shape or form for 20 years. Altman ran the full marathon the first year, and I ran the 5K....