Tuesday, December 12, 2017

What do you know about those around you?

Couple things from today.....

We have had a few things break around the house and had our fav repairman over to fix them. Since May (when we last saw him), he discovered that his cancer had returned, has had a hip replacement to remove huge masses of the cancer, had radiation for the tumors on his back and remaining tumors on pelvis, is doing immunotherapy treatment, and will have his next round of radiation on the 19th of this month to treat the tumor in his neck. He showed me photos of the masses and told me all of this while he worked away at removing an old fan. He's 54. He is optimistic that the treatments will give him more time. We also talked about how he couldn't be angry about his own prognosis when he'd go to the doctor and see young people with this awful disease. What an amazing way to start the day. Hearing his story really made me take a step back and think about my blessings.

This afternoon, I spent time with some of my fav gals for lunch and a movie. We saw Wonder. I pretty much cried from start to finish. My advice - go see it. Then see it again and make sure your kids see it. Everyone should see this movie. It's well done and will make you think about how you treat others. Given the news lately, we need to be having conversations about how to treat one another and we should be leading by example. Whether you have kids or not, you should treat others with respect and kindness.

I know we all try to be extra kind during the holiday season but maybe that kindness could extend in to the new year and beyond. Perhaps if we put down our electronics and connected with one another, the world would be less angry and judgmental. There is a saying that you can't hate me if you don't know me (or something similar) so if we took the opportunity to stop being so quick to judge others in all situations and get to know them then we might just start a movement.

Happy Holidays friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CHKM Week - It's Here! It's Here!

We've been experiencing marathon week in some shape or form for 20 years. Altman ran the full marathon the first year, and I ran the 5K....