Tuesday, July 18, 2017

I Can't Make This Stuff Up

We're in a place in life where you have to be ready for anything.

Like right now, I just realized that there is dried dog blood on my computer screen....

July has been crazy. Karson and Jason were both sick and then I was sick for several days. I felt better on Sunday and I climbed into bed knowing this was going to be an awesome week.

Then, the chiweenie climbed into bed and proceeded to throw up all over the sheets. This was awful but made worse because we'd just cleaned up Princess poop from the bedroom floor (she's old and can't control her bowels and poops all over the house day and night). Quick change later and we settled again with the knowledge that this was going to be a great week.

On Monday night, the chiweenie (Fritz) and the hound/heeler mix (George) were play fighting. They do this often. Fritz is roughly 7 pounds and George is probably 55-60 pounds. Fritz can hold his own pretty well when they fight so I wasn't really paying attention.

When we settled down, Jackson noted that something was wrong with Fritz' face. Either George's nail or tooth had torn Fritz' cheek leaving the skin hanging. I emailed a vet friend and she said to take him today as he would probably need antibiotics.



This morning, I was getting breakfast ready and headed into the family room when George intercepted me, blocked me, and my left toes separated on his leg. He's pretty stout so he didn't give a bit when I ran into him. There were some popping/cracking noises and a great deal of pain. I went on to my first meeting but could hardly pay attention as I could feel my toe/foot swelling and because the thing just hurt. I texted a doctor friend who told me tape them up and check-in tomorrow if it is still deformed...

My toe is currently taped to another one and I wrapped my foot in an effort to immobilize the area.

Altman had dropped Fritz at the vet this morning. They had to sedate him and suture his face. They also got him updated on vaccines so Altman picked him up and brought him home to recover just after 2:30 pm.

I was working when the boys came running in to say there was something wrong with Fritz. There was....he was totally swollen and covered in huge hives. That's where the blood on screen came from - he was shaking his head and little splatters of blood went everywhere including my computer screen. Altman rushed him back to the vet and they gave him a steroid shot and a Benadryl shot because he was having a reaction to either the meds or the vaccines.

I literally cannot make these things up. I've been laughing hysterically all day because this was not how this week was supposed to go.

I pretty much only own heels so I have no idea what kind of shoes I'll be wearing this week and I'm honestly hoping just to be able to walk without pain at this point.

Fritz is exiled to the crate while he sleeps off the Benadryl and to keep George from hurting him any further before he can recover. Of course George is sleeping peacefully having no idea that he's broken two of us in less than a day.

These are trivial things and if they are the worst things to happen to us then that's a-okay. Life is good and these are just bumps in the road. They are distracting and really badly timed but they are still pretty funny.

So, you may not see me on the roads tomorrow but hopefully again ASAP. Keep plugging along and hopefully you got a good chuckle out of our adventures this week. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment

CHKM Week - It's Here! It's Here!

We've been experiencing marathon week in some shape or form for 20 years. Altman ran the full marathon the first year, and I ran the 5K....