Friday, July 7, 2017

Putting It All Out There

I literally put it all out there yesterday. In person and online. Note: If you have a weak stomach then you might skip to the middle of the page...

As we were leaving the movie theater with Jackson's friends, Karson had been whining that his belly hurt. He's been sick all week and he was really tired so I was waiting on Altman to give me the keys so I could take him on to the car and give him a chance to nap.

I had him wrapped up in my sweater and was cuddling him while we waited. He gave the pump fake gag and then said he needed to throw up. I held him over the trash can and he spit. Before I could ask if there was more, he turned back to me and threw up all over both of us.

There were no amount of towels in the theater to help with any cleanup so we walked to the two blocks to the car. Once there, I used baby wipes to clean him off and changed his clothes. Luckily, we take a second set of clothes everywhere for him. Unfortunately, I don't do the same.

I ended up wrapped in a beach blanket over my jeans while Jason ran to Nothing Too Fancy to buy me a new shirt. Luckily, I had worn a sports bra under my tank so I wasn't totally inappropriate. Truthfully, I wouldn't have cared because the smell was so vile.




I wrote about our long day on Facebook and Instagram last night.

I didn't do it for pity although I can say that I had one heck of a pity party for myself in the car and then again in the shower and a couple more times before the day was over. I haven't cried like that in ages.

It's been a long, hard week with a sick Altman and sick Karson and I am beyond exhausted and spent.

With my partner in crime also sick, I have been flying solo with playing nurse and preparing for Jackson's birthday and trying to work and keep our life together.

It's okay for me (or any mom) to shed a few (okay a lot) of tears. It's okay because I always rally. I need a minute or a few hours to feel the feels and then I pick myself up and get on with things. It's my nature.

Rationally, we know these hard times will pass. Emotionally, physically, and mentally, it's a matter of seeing the light and being able to reach it. I like a timeline and would love it if every sickness came with a time stamp that said "48 hours or 4 days" but they don't so I just have to wait and see things through. I'll tell you it's hard to see the light when you're covered in vomit.

I started this blog years ago because of a poopapocalypse. I wanted people to see and know the real side of being a parent. This is life. This is the life we chose and I wouldn't trade it (okay, I might trade out the poop and vomit if I had the option).

I want other moms to be able to laugh and cry along with me and know that they aren't alone. This parenting thing is hard. But, we're all tough and all will be fine.

I know that in a few months, the "vomit in the theater incident" will be funny - just as the poopapocalypse is funny now - but yesterday, it wasn't funny and it was my tipping point.

Now that the tears have been cried and I am alone for the first time in like 7 days, all will be fine. I'm going to shower, pour another coffee, and salvage the rest of my day and then make big plans for next week.

It's what I do. I rally. I pull things together and I move forward. So, no pity for us. A gifted Starbucks, massage, or pedicure would be nice but no pity needed. But do know that when you see the posts, they aren't me asking for your pity, it's me letting others know that it's okay to be you. It's okay to be a parent and to be emotional and to feel the feels when you need to because that's the only way you are going to be able to rally and move on.




1 comment:

CHKM Week - It's Here! It's Here!

We've been experiencing marathon week in some shape or form for 20 years. Altman ran the full marathon the first year, and I ran the 5K....