Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Don't judge me but Pre-School is the Best.

I have told this part before, anyone who knew me growing up knew that I didn't want kids. I said this through high school, college, and post college. Altman and I had serious discussions about it before we got married. Of course my (our) mind changed and I would do anything for my kid. He is amazing. Altman and I were so happy before he was born but he filled this spot in our hearts that I didn't even know existed.

He makes me happy. So happy. His smile is infectious and he is smart and funny. He makes me cry - in a good way. He brings out emotions that I never knew existed. He also makes me cry in a way that makes me wonder if I am a good mother or not and frankly why on Earth did I had a kid. On any given day, he can bring me to my knees in tears - in a good way or a bad way. He makes me mad too. I don't understand what was unclear about me saying, "Don't blow that whistle inside." But, apparently I was unclear because every head turned when he blew an ear piercing whistle inside the Post Office.

He is like me. A lot like me. He is smart and he doesn't like to wait for instruction. He wants to dive right into to something. No time to wait for instructions. Just do it. He gets frustrated really easily (probably because he didn't read the instructions and he got it wrong). He is stubborn. I see some epic battles ahead.

Don't take any of this wrong. He is a great kid. Really. We couldn't ask for a better kid. I thank God every night for blessing us with such a cool kid. He has great manners and is so kind and thoughtful of others. Altman has this way with people and I see a lot of that in Jackson.

He is out of school this week. As usual, on paper, having no backup plan is a great idea. I can do everything, right? I can work, watch the kid, feed the kid, feed myself (whoops - forgot about that today), do more work, do laundry, clean the house, and do more work with no problem at all. Always a good idea until we get to this week.

I love him but we have a much better relationship when he goes to school. He goes Monday through Friday from 9 am to 3 pm. Perfect. I work out before and then spend that time in meetings and running KTC. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, Altman and I alternate afternoon meetings and then we work at night but after he goes to bed.

The time away is great for all. Jackson loves the schedule. Get up, eat, play, school, and then see mommy and daddy. He has friends and loves his teachers. They teach him things and then he can come home and tell us all about it. I can't wait for 3 pm to pick him up. When I pick him up, I have missed him all day. And, I really did miss him so much that I wonder why we send him to school.

Tuesday can't get here fast enough. I love him but we'll be a happier duo once he goes back to school. I think I do a good job of being his mother. I do the best I can every single day. I can fix boo boos, I am teaching him to be grateful in life, that hard work is important, to do nice things for others, and I am teaching him healthy habits. With all that said, I am a better mother because he goes to pre-school.

You can judge if you want but if you don't send your kid away for a little while everyday - you should try it. There is nothing wrong with staying home with your kids. I admire and praise anyone that can do it. For us, I am better at what I do when we can spend some time apart each day. Now, back to working and making dinner and maybe now I will get to eat!


No comments:

Post a Comment

CHKM Week - It's Here! It's Here!

We've been experiencing marathon week in some shape or form for 20 years. Altman ran the full marathon the first year, and I ran the 5K....