Friday, August 10, 2012

A rock up the nose isn't a bump in the road!

It was bound to happen...an object in the nose or ear that we couldn't get out. Why wouldn't it happen on our mini-vacay? Totally fits our life.

While riding kiddie rides last Saturday, one of the workers watched an exchange between Jackson and I. He was picking his nose and then trying to stick his finger in his mouth. Of course I told him to stop, pulled the finger away from his face, and reminded him how gross eating boogers is. The kid working saw the whole conversation and I could see him giggling to himself.  It was a bit embarrassing but heck, what 3 year old hasn't picked their nose and eaten a booger. If you say your kid hasn't done it then you are fibbing or haven't seen it yourself. I was just happy that he hadn't stuck in marbles or trains or whatever in his nose yet.

We headed to Brevard for a few days of rest and relaxation. On Tuesday morning, we went for a run and then to breakfast. Little Altman was complaining of a rock in his sandal. Jason got it out and we took off for the mountains for some hiking. No big deal. About a mile into the short drive, Jackson said, "I have a rock in my nose." I didn't even turn around and just asked him what he said. "I have a rock in my nose." I asked how it got there and he said he put it there.

I looked over the seat and up his nose and yep, there was a rock. We pulled into a parking lot and I pulled him out of his seat and into the back of the Tahoe. I was acting like I was going to perform surgery or something. After looking a little closer, he had shoved it pretty far up there and we decided we needed assistance getting it out.

The ER was from the 1950s. Seriously. Small and everyone seemed old including the staff. They all LOVED Jackson and after each of them telling us a "rock up the nose story" said they'd take care of us. So much for hiking. We waited for awhile so that they could discharge someone and get us back to a room.

We wanted to hike but we settled for Ring Around the Rosies and the jumping game while we waited in the lobby. Yes, in the lobby in front of the 20 or so people waiting to be treated or waiting on family.

Luckily, the rock fell out before the doctor had to intervene. A good sneeze knocked it loose and a few wipes and it literally just fell out and onto the exam table.

Instead of hiking, we spent the afternoon in the ER. Jackson was in great spirits the whole time and although it was a bump in our road that day, we made the best of it. We headed back to the cabin where we played trains and watched the Olympics and spent some great time together as a family.

I doubt this is the last trip we take to the ER. He now repeats that he shouldn't stick things in his nose but as I type this, we are having the booger conversation...again.

Sometimes the road is smooth and sometimes it is bumpy. Sometimes it broken all to heck. You just gotta keep going and see what each new day brings. And, sometimes give yourself a high five that the bump was a small one and could have done a lot more damage!

1 comment:

  1. These are the stories you will tell when he's all grown up. Classic! :)

    ReplyDelete

CHKM Week - It's Here! It's Here!

We've been experiencing marathon week in some shape or form for 20 years. Altman ran the full marathon the first year, and I ran the 5K....