Saturday, December 5, 2015

We Have Children!

I am no expert on raising children. When Jackson was born, we tried to keep our expectations simple because everything was so new to us. Our main goal was simple. Keep the kid alive. Each day that he was alive at bedtime and when it was time to wake up was a success. So far, we're 100% on that goal. When Karson was born, our mantra became "survive and advance" and we still stick to that one.

We are heading toward a transition time. We moved on a long time ago from the infant phase and then the baby phase. We hit the toddler phase like a freight train. I don't remember terrible two's with Jackson but Karson has been more than willing to expose us to this phase. I am ready to move on to the tranquil three's. Or the fun four's. Those exist. Right?

Karson is becoming a person. A real boy. One that "do it myself" and has "my turn" and doesn't want help from mommy or daddy. One that wraps his arms around my neck and gives me big kisses. One who tackles Jason down in the family room floor. One that would follow his brother to the ends of the Earth. He knows how to make us laugh and he understands when he's in trouble. He is taking life head on. Literally.

We now have children. We've always had children but specifically, we had infants, babies, toddlers, and even preschooler.

Now, we have a kindergartner and a toddler that is finding his personality.

That toddler is soon to be a preschooler and then a kindergartner. Our kindergartner has already completed the first half of his first year of school. Soon we'll see first grade and I am guessing that I will wake up soon and be preparing for graduation. There'll be lots of homework, activities, laughs, tears, and more in the years to come.

I read an article earlier about how there's a fine line of happy and grief as your children get older. We are still in a wonderful place where the boys want to snuggle and be held. They want to hold my hand but I am painfully aware that each time Jackson holds my hand could be the last time. There may be a time when he's too cool for that and I'll live but I will miss it terribly.

There'll be a time when my itty-bitty Karson is tackling down other players in sports instead of running around our family room like a mad man.

We spent the night away last night and I am guessing that's why I am so sentimental today. Jason and I needed to go out, have fun, and sleep. And we did. And then as soon as breakfast was finished, I was ready to come home to the boys.

My boys.





No comments:

Post a Comment

CHKM Week - It's Here! It's Here!

We've been experiencing marathon week in some shape or form for 20 years. Altman ran the full marathon the first year, and I ran the 5K....