Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Cheers to 2015

I sat down yesterday and wrote an entire blog post on saying goodbye to 2015. Then, when I couldn't sleep last night, I decided to delete it and start over. I rewrote the whole thing in my mind.

That's my way of writing. When the words come, I write furiously then let them sit. I reread them. It's funny because there are times when I instantly know that I hate what I have written and then I delete all of it and start over without giving it a second thought.

Other times, I can take the foundation and morph the words into a piece that I love. This is the process that I've used my whole life. Even in middle school and high school (before computers and even typewriters), I would hand write entire papers and then mark them up and rewrite them or just throw them away and start over.

That brings us back to this blog post. I wrote this long post full of things from 2015. I knew the minute I saved it that it wasn't what I wanted to say. I decided to let it simmer and reread it today.

My writing mirrors my life in so many ways. I create content by making life choices. Once a choice is made, I give it time before I evaluate it. Some times, I can take the choice and its' foundation, make adjustments and produce amazing results. There are other times that I realize that I just need to let go and start over.

Life is a continual cycle of making choices, evaluating them, letting go, making adjustments, learning, and moving forward.

After I wrote the first post, I found this great quote on Facebook:

"Do not move on to 2016 without letting go of something significant from 2015, an old idea, habit, fear, concern of ego. Let go to free up the whitespace for something new to enter." - Brendon Burchard

How appropriate.

2015 was a fine year. It certainly had some amazing moments but like any other year, it had challenges. As I get older, I try to learn from the choices I make so that I continue to pick the best option next time. As a wife and mother, the option I choose doesn't just affect me but in many cases, it has the ability to change our whole family cycle.

If I add another commitment to my plate, will it take time away from Altman and the children or will it allow me to spend more time with the boys?

For example, I chose to be Room Mom this year for Jackson's class. I was hesitant about saying yes. But, I found that it allows me to help the teacher and to see my son regularly during school hours. I get to watch him learn and grow as a person. Good choice. I'll be more than happy to choose this option in the future.

What will you let go from 2015?

I've started my list. And I plan to remind myself of it every day. I have a lot to leave behind in 2015. What I leave behind has helped me grow to the person I am but it's time to look ahead to a new year, a new chapter, and the fun that lies ahead.

Happy New Year friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment

CHKM Week - It's Here! It's Here!

We've been experiencing marathon week in some shape or form for 20 years. Altman ran the full marathon the first year, and I ran the 5K....