Wednesday, March 8, 2017

When TV Makes You Think...

I am a huge fan of NBC's "This Is Us" that airs on Tuesday evenings. It's been a long time since I actually wanted to watch a TV show that isn't on HGTV but this is just one of those amazing shows that you can't wait to watch.

Like many of the episodes, last night had me weeping. Okay - sobbing. Sobbing so much that Altman asked me two or three times if I was okay.

I knew William was dead. I watched that episode too. I knew that they'd be celebrating his life on last night's episode. I knew I would cry.

William was a great character. He was human. He made mistakes but he did good things too. The mailman asked about William because he'd gotten to know him. William actually took time to talk to the mailman.

It's interesting. Last week, I was leaving State Street Garage downtown and when I asked the fellow taking my money if he was having a good day, he responded that he was having a great day. The person exiting in front of me remembered his name. Terry was thrilled that one of the hundreds of people leaving that garage every day remembered his name. Now I know his name and I hope to see him again soon. It's so simple yet such a powerful reinforcement on the importance of human interaction.

Back to William...

I loved the celebration of life. I loved that the children planned it. It wasn't stuffy or sad and they really tried to do the things he did every day.

If I left this world tomorrow, I'd love for everyone to throw on running shorts and go for a run. Make it a long one since distance running may never happen for me again (but I am still hopeful!). Hit the roads or a trail - I am a fan of both. Have an adult beverage. Sit in a hammock and read a book. Grab a Skinny Vanilla Latte. Volunteer your time. Remember someone's name and make their day.

Hopefully I won't leave this world tomorrow. If I'm still here then I plan to stop and talk to our mailman, or the UPS man, or the Fedex man since they frequent our home so often these days.

It's doesn't matter what prompts you but if you stop to think about what's important in life then I bet you'd find that many of the things that fill your schedule are just that - fillers. When was the last time you had meaningful interactions with those people in your every day life? Not just your spouse/significant other or children but do you really have meaningful interactions with them? Do you know the name of the person taking your money or card at the garage every day or the name of the barista at your favorite coffee shop?

Maybe if we stopped long enough for a simple "Hello, how are you?" every day then we'd find it easier to get along with one another.

See you on the roads and trails! K

1 comment:

CHKM Week - It's Here! It's Here!

We've been experiencing marathon week in some shape or form for 20 years. Altman ran the full marathon the first year, and I ran the 5K....