Thursday, May 1, 2014

Amazing Woman: Karen Tindal

If you look up amazing in the dictionary, you might find a photo of Karen Tindal. She is passionate, hard working, intelligent, and just all around fabulous.

Karen and I have worked together in some capacity for well over a decade now. Maybe longer. Karen is famous for being one of the most incredible group exercise instructors to teach in this city. She can teach anything. And, has been known to teach every type of class in a week. 

She taught me to teach. She taught my original Group Exercise Instructor certification course through the YMCA. She was my supervisor for years during her time as the Fitness Director for a local YMCA. We became friends and eventually she served on my board when I was th
e Director for Girls on the Run.

She made me a great instructor. She taught me not only the fundamentals of teaching a class but how to interact with the members and participants. She made me understand that I needed to continuously be aware of what participants were doing while under my supervision. She taught me to focus on them and that teaching is not about me. That lesson works both in the gym and outside of the gym.

Besides all of her awesomeness as an instructor and volunteer, she is an amazing mother. Her kids were young when we met. She has always managed to care for the kids, work, and give back to the kids' school and the community. She volunteered as a coach for GOTR and I can't tell you how long she's been involved with Farragut school sports. She is currently the Executive Director for Girls on the Run and it makes my heart so happy to see what a great program she runs for young girls.

One of her best traits is that she is passionate about helping others. Teaching, coaching, volunteering at school, volunteering for nonprofit groups, or in her current job, she is driven to help others.. She is quiet about it and isn't looking for recognition. She is a born leader and someone that I really admire.

You can find her working with girls or teaching a variety of classes around town. If you get the chance, take her class. You won't regret it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

CHKM Week - It's Here! It's Here!

We've been experiencing marathon week in some shape or form for 20 years. Altman ran the full marathon the first year, and I ran the 5K....