Saturday, September 8, 2012

Sometimes I get stopped in my tracks

A few weeks ago, I got really sick. Started with a cough a little runny nose and ended up knocking me out of commission for a bit. As usual, after one day of rest, I was back at life full-time.

The cough has lingered a bit but overall, I felt better. Not great but better. Both Jason and I had traveled separately a couple weekends ago and I've had an unending to-do list that isn't get smaller. We haven't been able to get into a groove but was expecting that we would this past week.

Wrong. So wrong.

I don't get headaches. I get a "face" headache whenever a sinus infection hits. Otherwise, I am lucky not to be burdened with them.

On Tuesday, I thought I was dying. We had a party to go to and a babysitter lined up so we were going by golly. By the time we got to the marina to meet friends, my head hurt so bad that I was nauseous. I had some food and a cocktail and felt better. I thought that I must not have had enough to eat that day.

Wednesday, I didn't feel great so I took the day off from running. Wednesday night, Jackson didn't sleep and I was up all night with him. Literally. It had been a long time since I have been up all night so I chalked Thursday's misery to no sleep.

I got up yesterday ready to do a long run and get back to normal. I got a mile into the run and thought my head would explode. It was so painful that I stopped for minute thinking that I was really going to vomit (and by the way, I don't throw up - ever).

I spent all day trying to get into a walk-in clinic (which was just a comedy of errors) and finally saw a nurse practitioner last night. She did a pretty good review of everything and drew blood to make sure I am not anemic. I am not. And in case you were wondering, nope, I am not pregnant either. We tested for that too.

She said it is a viral infection and gave me some crazy medicine that was supposed to be for nausea. I woke up feeling like I had been hit over and over with a 2x4. After debating another doctor visit, I called on a friend who is in the medical field. I told him everything and he said that the "z-pac" that I took previously probably didn't clear up the infection. It probably stopped it for a minute but now it is back with a vengeance. He said he'd seen several cases of sinus issues lately because of pressure changes, etc. He also said that I didn't really need the meds that the n.p. had prescribed. That medicine is for vertigo and not for nausea. Thankfully, he called in a prescription for me and I am now on medications that will hopefully knock this out.

I have spent the day napping. Seriously. I never nap. I was in my pajamas until almost 6 pm when I finally showered and put on another pair of pajamas. I ate dinner and am back on the sofa. I am looking forward to ice cream and bed by 8 pm.

I missed my annual "run through campus on the first home game day" run this morning. I never miss that run.  We had planned to go downtown for a bit and maybe take Jackson to the game. Missed that too.  I am going to miss a KTC race tomorrow. I never do that unless I absolutely have no choice. In this case, I need the rest and the race is small and will be fine without me. I have to get well because we have a busy, busy end to 2012.

I am literally stopped in my tracks. My brain says to move but my body says no thank you. Tomorrow is a new day and hopefully I will feel better. If not tomorrow, then maybe Monday. I hate being sick and I hate missing out on life. There is a lot to do and I am ready to get rolling again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CHKM Week - It's Here! It's Here!

We've been experiencing marathon week in some shape or form for 20 years. Altman ran the full marathon the first year, and I ran the 5K....