Saturday, January 21, 2012

Celebrating the Start Line

I did it. I actually made it to the start line and I couldn't be happier. I have posted about how terrible this last year has been for running. I have warned you that yes, you can get hurt too. I have also told you that being injured sucks. Big time.

I spent last fall feeling recovered from injury and pretty excited about a November Half Marathon. Heck, I PR'd in the 8K and was the Overall Female Winner. So, I should have been more than ready for my November race.

So close but so so far. About two weeks before, I did a training run on the half marathon course. I ran too fast and too hard. I was mad about my overall performance on the training run so I ran hard the next day.  I didn't give myself time to recover and on the following Tuesday, I was gonna do just "an easy speed workout" and I pulled my hip again. I went to PT that Saturday and was really as ready as I could have been.  I blogged on the story.  No race.

I didn't even make the start line.

My expectations for the Aramco Houston Half were low. I experienced what is called a chemical pregnancy around Christmas and had stopped all intense training. When I found out that I wasn't really pregnant then I jumped back in to training but let's be honest, I didn't have a lot of time. Heck, I didn't have a lot of time to begin with going into this cycle.

Last weekend, I watched the Olympic Trials. What an amazing event. USA's top athletes battling for a spot on the Olympic Marathon Team. It was a once in a lifetime experience. Inspiring.

I ate some carbs, got some rest, and got up on Sunday morning for the race. We jogged to the start line. That went well. I spent the mandatory forever in the corral (yes, race rules) until the gun fired at 7 am Central time. I crossed the start line. Holy Crap!

The race was fun. I had hoped for a better time but to be honest, the crowd was tough to get through and when things finally opened up around mile 10, I just didn't have the get up and go that I needed to kill the last 5K. I didn't really care.

I knew I could finish....if I made the start line.

This was my slowest half in forever. That is okay. Some people dream of running the time I ran last Sunday. I dream of running a PR someday. For now, I am going to celebrate the Start Line. It was a place I wasn't sure I would see again for long distance racing and I am happy to get re-acquainted with it.

For now, I am gonna run for fun. A novel idea but something I haven't done in years. I have been pushing back against my body for being hurt. Now, I will re-embrace cross training and lower mileage and I will look forward to the next Start Line.  See you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CHKM Week - It's Here! It's Here!

We've been experiencing marathon week in some shape or form for 20 years. Altman ran the full marathon the first year, and I ran the 5K....