Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Surviving Sick

We're in Day 5 of the Great Strep Outbreak of 2017. I was sick with sinus/allergy/cold for a week and I didn't sleep more than 3 hours any of those nights and when I finally started to feel better....BOOM! Jackson wakes up before 5 am on Friday literally shaking from fever.

It's Tuesday. He's not better. He's been to the doctor twice and we called again this morning because he has a cough so bad I'm afraid his ribs are going to crack. That's normal they say. Call us if it doesn't get better...

It hit Karson yesterday. We thought he was tired. We took him with us to doc just to be safe and yep, he has strep too. Both are on meds but both still have a fever and both are emotionally up and down and all over the place.

There's no doubt that this just sucks. Yes, they'll get better but right now, it just sucks.

This isn't a case when one of us can manage both kids because they both need so much help all the time right now. We're sneaking in work while they nap or just lie on the sofa  and I'm disinfecting everything in sight and cleaning when I can. I'm washing all the sheets and towels in scolding hot water. I've already bought new toothbrushes and I'll buy new pillows tomorrow (we need them anyway).

We're so tired that we alternated naps this morning and then alternated workouts.

I could have skipped the workout but I needed to release some frustration. I love my little family but this stint of illness is almost too much so I kicked my own behind to settle myself. I did a speed/cardio + core interval workout and finished with a mile of speed intervals. I'll probably pay for the hard work tomorrow but today, it was either run fast or cry in the shower.

We'll survive. Perhaps I'll go for a trail run tomorrow and hammer my way up the hill at Concord or maybe I'll go to yoga class so someone else can kick my behind. At this point, I'll do whatever it takes to survive the Great Strep Outbreak of 2017...

No comments:

Post a Comment

CHKM Week - It's Here! It's Here!

We've been experiencing marathon week in some shape or form for 20 years. Altman ran the full marathon the first year, and I ran the 5K....