Tuesday, August 12, 2014

School Days

I am loving the back to school photos. The great thing about social media is the ability to watch the children of family and friends grow up and move through new life experiences. The photos remind me of my first school days and make me weepy for when the boys head off to school.

That brings me to the reason for this post and something that I have been thinking about all week.

Jackson is 5. He is a summer baby. He is a boy. Why does that matter, you ask?

Technically, we could have sent Jackson to kindergarten this year. Truthfully, we never considered it. Last summer, having a conversation about the kids with someone that I barely knew. Karson was a newborn and this person was asking about my family and other children. I was telling him all about Jackson and his upcoming 4th birthday. This gentleman noted that he didn't know me well or know Jackson at all but asked if I was considering waiting until he was 6 to start him in school.

The thought had never crossed my mind until then.

I read articles, asked friends, and asked educators about 5 vs. 6 and summer babies vs. fall/winter babies. I sought answers regarding maturity and the pros vs. cons of sending him at 5 or waiting a year.

Within a few weeks, we had our decision. Last August, we knew that we wouldn't be sending Jackson to school this year.

I am so glad and I couldn't be happier with the decision.

My heart would not be able to handle a first day of school right now.

Honestly, Jackson's heart wouldn't be able to handle a first day of school right now.

He has some maturing to do before he can roll into kindergarten and succeed. He is smart. Yes, I am his mom and have to say that but he is truly smart. He is already learning to read, his writing gets better everyday, and we've started working on basic math.

So, with all this said, I have found myself explaining to people over and over this last week when they ask if he's starting school this year. The funny part is that most of the kids in his pre-school class are all staying in pre-school another year. I don't know if their parents are being asked the same question or if they need to explain but I suddenly feel the need to develop an elevator speech or talking points for when the question comes.

I know we've made the right choice. I know that once he starts school, he will be there for a long time. I know that I can't get back this time with him and there is absolutely no reason to rush. I was the youngest in my class and I know that I was really at a disadvantage so many times. I know that I am going to really enjoy the next year.

And speaking of, for this year, we'll post vacation pictures in September and December. We'll send our love from Columbus in October. We'll post pic's of zoo trips in the middle of the day in the middle of the week.

And, we'll start the process of touring schools and interviewing future educators for our oldest child. The kindergarten timing decision was easy but now we have to determine the best educational route for our guy because not only are academics important, but I want to make sure that he is receiving the best overall education available.

See you on the roads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CHKM Week - It's Here! It's Here!

We've been experiencing marathon week in some shape or form for 20 years. Altman ran the full marathon the first year, and I ran the 5K....