Monday, November 18, 2013

Looking for Champions for Change

When did we become so selfish and self-centered? When did we lose our ability to say "please," "thank you," and other common courtesy phrases. With that said, when did we stop having common courtesy?

I was standing in line at A.C. Moore on Saturday. Karson was asleep in the car seat in the cart. I had moved to the end of the cart to run my credit card. Apparently, I wasn't moving fast enough because the woman behind me bumped the cart. Twice. Yes, twice. With my baby right there in her face. Literally in her face. The car seat sits right about eye level in those carts. The issue is that I was moving as fast as I could. I wanted to get out quick because the longer we stand still, the more likely it is that Karson will wake up.

When I left, I did what we all do. I went to Facebook. I asked friends for stories and opinions and I got several.

I discovered that we are bothered by an array of issues. I noticed a pattern. We almost all agreed that it would be great if people said "excuse me" once in awhile. And I don't mean saying "excuse me" after someone has bumped into you. If you bump someone then just say, "I am sorry. Excuse me."

I believe that it boils down to selfishness. We are out for ourselves. We don't care about others. Shake your head if you want but it is true. When did we lose the concept of personal space? We are in such a hurry to check out that we creep up on the person in front of us. The woman at the grocery store on Sunday was less than 6 inches from me while I signed my credit card slip. Why? It isn't going to make the cashier move any faster. He can't do anything until I hand him my slip. And, if you are in my way and hovering then I can't reach him anyway.

We get so mad if someone calls us "ma'am" or "sir" but I think of it as a sign of respect. It doesn't make me feel old to be called "ma'am" because I was raised to call everyone that I respect either "ma'am" or "sir." Years ago while working at a local YMCA, I had a co-worker rip me a new one because I called her "ma'am." She was so mean about it that I almost cried. 

I could go on and on. I could post all of the notes from Facebook. We could really go on a tirade here and start calling people out. That doesn't do us any good.

Why not start a movement? Why not be a champion for change? That whole "pay it forward" thing - why don't we "pay it forward" with kindness and compassion and common courtesy.

This week, let's try a few things:
Say excuse me when you bump someone.
Don't stand close enough to bump someone in the first place.
Say please and thank you.
Hold the door open for someone.
Respect personal space (at least 2 feet between you and the next person).

Our children, our friends, our colleagues, and our families mimic what happens around them. It happens naturally. If you bring back common courtesy then those around you will do the same. 

Be the leader and promote the change this holiday season.

Now, if you'll please excuse me, I need to get some sleep. Goodnight friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment

CHKM Week - It's Here! It's Here!

We've been experiencing marathon week in some shape or form for 20 years. Altman ran the full marathon the first year, and I ran the 5K....