Sunday, November 13, 2011

Loving something so much it hurts. Literally.

2011 has been a trying year in running for me. It started well but took a nosedive pretty quickly.  I don't need to tell the story.  You know it already.

After months of PT and rehab, September came and it all starting coming together again.  My pace picked up again and the runs were great.  October was awesome.  I jumped in an 8K and not only had a PR but WON it as Overall Female.  Superb.  I was back!

Then, on Tuesday of last week, finishing up my 3rd 800 repeat of 5, I felt it.  Small, slight twinge.  The 4th 800 was no better and by the 5th the feeling of dread had overwhelmed me.  Once I finished cooling down, I stood on my treadmill in my garage and cried.  A lot.  Where did it come from?  Did I misstep to pull the hip and glute again?  How did it happen?

I learned from early 2011.  I took it easy the rest of the week.  We loaded up the car on Friday and headed to Chattanooga for the Chickamauga races.  Jackson didn't sleep well and I stayed up with him.  At 2:30 am in the morning when I couldn't sleep, I asked for a sign.  I literally asked God for sign and said to him, "Maybe an obvious sign like my sister being late."  My sister is NEVER late.  Tell her 6:15 am and she arrives at 5:45 am.  Tell her 10:30 am and she arrives at 10 am.

At 6 am on Saturday morning when she was supposed to be there, I texted her.  She overslept.  There was my sign.  Don't ask if you don't want an answer.  I got to the race 15 minutes before the start.  Still considering running very easy, I did a warm-up mile.  There it was - that pull down the hip and into the glute.  No race for me on Saturday.  I ran 7 or 8 easy miles to see friends and today, I am paying for those miles.

Don't feel sorry for me.  Don't pity my misfortune.  Don't snicker at me and think that you are invincible and that this can't happen to you.  It can.  And probably will sometime.  I have been fortunate that since I started running in 2004 that this is my first time dealing with an injury like this.  Learn from me.  Listen to your body.  Remind yourself every time you lace up that there is more than just running.  Do you stretch?  Do you strength train?  Do you work on your core?  Do you do yoga?  No?  You should.  I have been lazy and have been skipping those things in favor of a longer run or work or folding laundry.

There will be more races.  Starting this week, I will put more effort into cross training and I will put more effort into strengthening my core and hips.  I never really had injuries when I was teaching group ex regularly.  In fact, I was able to go more miles when I was teaching 5 or 6 yoga classes a week.  There is just no time for me to teach these days but I can't deny that the cross training is good for me.

For this minute, I am going to enjoy another cup of coffee and catch up on junk TV.  A new era begins tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CHKM Week - It's Here! It's Here!

We've been experiencing marathon week in some shape or form for 20 years. Altman ran the full marathon the first year, and I ran the 5K....