Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Post MRI

Just a little update on the journey and MRI results and next steps.

The MRI showed no stress fractures, no tears, no structural damage. That's good news. That means there is nothing happening in that hip that requires surgery.

It does show that I have bursitis. Doc initially diagnosed it as bursitis but because I was still having problems then we decided that ruling anything out via MRI was best bet.

The bad news is that bursitis is the inflammation of the bursa. Usually from overuse and a host of other reasons. And, there is no easy fix.

So what to do?

I had a cortisone injection yesterday. The cortisone will reduce the inflammation and bring the bursa back to normal size.

I had physical therapy today. Because they didn't want to be aggressive, our great friends at TN Sports Medicine Group did some initial work on it and I will go back Friday for soft tissue work.

I signed up for a membership at 4D Fitness (owed and operated by TN Sports Medicine Group) and plan to hire one of their personal trainers to help me get my strength back.

And, I'll take a hard look at my nutrition and make changes to reduce inflammatory foods.

Bursitis can flare up anytime. I can get up to three cortisone injections per year but I hope that we can get on the right track and prevent having to have that many injections.

I may never run another marathon. That would be too bad. But, I may. That might also be too bad. ;)
But, if I can get and stay healthy then I'd love to try the half distance and see how that goes. And who knows, maybe a marathon is in my future.

Whatever the future holds, I have some work to do but am happy to know that I don't need surgery and that I am totally blessed with awesome experts that can help me.

See you on the roads...but probably not until next week. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's Over...And I'm Not Sad

Based on my Facebook feed, tons of kids have had the MOST AMAZING middle school experience. They made lifelong friends, had a great time in ...